Monday, May 5, 2008

Alone but not lonely

I can't think of a name for this post...at least not yet. Maybe I will as I write. I've discovered today that I'm not much of a loner. My dog and I are home alone, he's not much of a conversationalist. I keep looking at the clock and then figuring the time difference between here and California. California seems like it's a world away just as Ohio did when I was in California. When I was in California, I always had people around me, friends and family; but I was still kind of lonely. Now I'm REALLY alone and I hate it. There are times when I'm busy with day to day life and I think "boy, I'd love to have just a couple of days to myself to do anything I want; or not do anything at all". Well, I've had two of those days, and I don't like them so much. I'm really missing my best friend. Rick works at home so he is usually busy for most of the day, but I know he's here. After 43 years of marriage, it still thrills me when he pops his head in and says "want a cup of coffee?" or "How would you like to go to Cracker Barrel tonight"? Sometimes he even says "what are we having for dinner tonight?" (that's not quite as thrilling) The point is...I really miss him. I went to church last evening without him and felt like just half a person. While I was writing this, the phone rang and guess who it was? Right...it was Rick. We talked for a long time about what is coming up tomorrow.
People ask if we're scared about tomorrow. The answer is "no" we are not scared or fearful, but we are apprehensive because this is uncharted territory for all of us. I told Elizabeth and Jacob that many people are praying for them. They have their clothes all laid out for court (isn't that just too sad). We said our usual good-nights. I always tell Jacob "I love you to the moon and back" and he always says the same thing back to me. Tonight he said "No Nana, I love you to the GALAXY and back...that's a lot further." It was good to talk to everyone.

So, now I have a title for this post.

3 comments:

Domestically Inclined said...

Just checking in to say hello and letting you know God has kept you and your family in my prayers. No matter the outcome...God is in control. Proverbs 4:23

Cherie said...

A lesson I'm having a hard time learning! Thanks!

The Resident Writer said...

Wow. I say exactly the same thing when I go to a social gathering without Jay--I feel like "half a person."